So this post is basically just so that I can toot my own horn a little bit and show off some things I’ve made recently. This doesn’t happen often, which is why I feel the need to brag =)
Let me just say that I’m not a “pinner” – I’ve never even been on the pinterest site. Pretty much everyone I know in real life and on the internet is a “pinner”. I’ve seen people get a lot of neat, creative, and fun ideas from pinterest. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s a website that people “pin” different things(crafts, recipes. décor) and give you step by step instructions to make them yourself. At least that’s how I interpret it……since I’ve never been to the site. I’m a realist and know that realistically I’m probably never going to actually try any of the cool things I find. So why even look?
Anyways lets start with my own spin on a bow holder!
My neighbor made her 2 girls a really cute bow holder that I was going to try to imitate. It looked like a little girls dress and the bows attached to ribbon where the skirt of the dress was. Then I decided it would be A LOT of work. So I googled bow holders and found some other cute ideas. Most of them were wood a the top and then painted with the child’s name. I changed it up a bit.
So this is the final product - - -
I used 2 layers of foam board cut into a rectangle, then used batting and leftover matching fabric to cover the foam board, outlined the rectangle and made the hanger with some pink ribbon, and then attached the colored ribbons to hang off the bottom. The glue gun was my BFF, except the couple times it burned my fingers
Here it is all loaded up!
(I also stuck some pins into the rectangle foam board to hold the head bands)
I love having all her bows on this – and being able to see them all is awesome! It also adds a lot of color to a boring closet door.
Next up is something that I am super duper proud of.
I MADE a dress. That’s right people…….you read that right. And when I say MADE, I mean I SEWED a dress. I believe they are called pillowcase dresses but I’m not positive. They are tank top dresses with a shoe string or ribbon across the front and back of the head opening, and then you sinch it up and tie the ribbon on each shoulder.
Now I have to add to this story that I have only had a sewing machine for a couple of weeks. My wonderful Aunt Karen invested in a small one for me the last time she was visiting. Seems like every time she would come our way she had to lug her sewing machine along with her for something. Now I have my own! She helped me make a couple of throw pillows for the living room, but the dress I did all by myself! (PS- sewing machines are a lot more complicated than I thought!) But I did it!
The reason for the dress began when I was putting together our outfits for family pictures. I was trying to be frugal and use clothing everyone had already, but kept getting stuck with Kamryn. So I thought “I could go to the fabric store and pic out whatever fabric I want in the color that I need and make her something to wear.” Then I remembered my neighbor(the same neighbor with the cute bow holder) had made her girls these pillow case dresses that she said were super easy. So I got one from her to look at as a reference, and off I went!
Originally I chose 2 different fabrics/patterns just to be prepared for mess ups. I started with the fabric that was my second choice thinking my first attempt was my ‘trial by error’ ‘learn as I go’ kinda thing. Well my first attempt turned out amazingly well! So well that I was sort of afraid to try the second fabric, so she’s wearing the one and only dress I made so far =)
These dresses are very versatile, you can put just a little diaper cover or shorts under it or some leggings. If it’s cold you can put a long sleeve underneath, and as they grow it can become just a shirt.
Here’s my little super model <3
I’ve got a yellow diaper cover from another outfit she can wear underneath or some leggings – depending on the weather.
Well that’s all for my bragging session.
If anyone needs pillows or dresses – I’m your girl =)


No comments:
Post a Comment